Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Peace for Christmas

This year, I'm trying something new for Christmas. I know, Christmas is all about traditions, but it seems to be a good year to try something out of the box and get out of my comfort zone.

Traditionally, Ken and I go to our river property to select the best possible red cedar tree to decorate for Christmas. Grandma and Grandpa used to decorate red cedar trees and the smell brings back memories of Grandpa’s chewing gum and favorite dollies from Santa. Red cedar trees are considered weeds and are typically cut out of pastures. They are prickly and have meager limbs. It is challenging to find a tree that is nicely shaped and has enough branches to support decorations.

Since Ken isn't much of a tree person, I end up decorating by myself and have to listen to whatever football game or NCIS episode happens to be on the television instead of listening to Christmas music. I also end up enjoying the tree by myself, since he doesn't think that sitting in front of my glowing cedar "bush", is entertaining. The more I decorate, the more he detaches. As I considered Ken’s dislike, the freshly steam cleaned carpet and the work required to cut, decorate, water daily, keep the cats and dog out, and undecorate seemed to require more effort than I could summon. So, there is no tree nor holiday bling in our front room.

When I got home late from work tonight, supper was ready in the crock pot and Ken was out hunting. I made a cup of tea, lit a fire in the wood stove, and sat on the couch. Maybelline, the youngest of our cats, purred on my lap. It was peaceful. It was warm and relaxing. I read my entire Better Homes & Garden magazine. It was a silent night, a holy night. .

From the quietness of my evening, I wish you peace.

No comments: