Thursday, March 31, 2011

Death on Facebook

An interesting twist in social media is the ability to share a death experience with friends.  My friend, David, passed away around midnight central time, 10:00 pm California time.  His Face book posts started talking about migraines in January and how bad he felt.  We (his Face book friends and family) all cheered him on and followed his doctor appointments as well as his blood tests.  The doctors said he was fine.  When I talked to him in late January, he was experiencing crazy coughing fits and he told me he was dying.  He knew it even though the doctors were not finding the cause of his illness.  Our conversations have always been the deepest emotional levels and this was no exception. 

He went to the doctor again in February.  They put him in the hospital, did MRI's and cat scans.  They found six brain tumors and lung cancer.  They said he had four to six months to live.  He did a few rounds of radiation and signed up for hospice.  The last few days he has been unconscious.  Friends and family have been posting on Face book for David during this time. Friends were able to connect via face book and by calling his caregiver who would hold the phone to David's ear. 

I read the posts last night around 10:00 pm central time and I knew he would not make it through the night.  He was in my dreams and when I woke, I knew he was gone.  During my morning yoga practice, I had a sensation for a brief moment that David was with me, just passing through as his spirit made it's trip to visit all of the friends he has made.  When I got on Face book, his death was confirmed.

There are many people who were recipients of David's friendship.  I was one of the lucky ones.  David knew my soul from the very beginning and we had a friendship that was deep from the moment we met.  Even though distance has separated us, we have kept in touch - and now he is gone.  The world is a smaller, sadder place today because we have lost him on earth.

During February, David and I had a few phone conversations.  I asked him what his plans were and what his thoughts were about dying.  He had been thinking of ways he could connect with his friends from heaven.  One consideration was to turn off the hot water in people's showers.  I have no doubt that he will figure out a way.

Rest in peace David.  I love you brother.

1 comment:

Lora said...

I'm sorry, Lori. I think this is probably the David you have spoke of frequently for the 14 years I've known you? I do believe in the end-hours floating goodbyes. I heard my grandmother call my name across the mall when she was leaving this dimension. And that's all this is, Sister...One Dimension. I think the next one ahead will be even more lovely. Love you!