Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Divine Discontent

I am re-reading Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach this year.  Yesterday's entry included a quote from the English historian, Dame Cicely Veronica Wedgwood, "Discontent and disorder [are] signs of energy and hope, not of despair."  Sarah expanded on the quote by naming Divine Discontent, the grit in the oyster before the pearl, our creative second chance, when we learn to spin straw into gold, when we come into our own. 

I am discontented with my work life.  Grit has found its irritating place in my oyster.  Yesterday at work I allowed myself to speak my mind freely in front of the owner and two colleagues.  I expressed my discontent in the right context, without malice, and with professional delivery.  They did not disagree.  More importantly, they could not disagree, for what I said was the truth.  They did not like hearing what I said, but they could see my point in the context that it was delivered.  I walked away from the meeting feeling like my contribution was worthy. 

I believe that my spoken opinion should introduce a small piece of grit into the oysters of my colleagues.  The question is, will they continue in the path they are currently taking, or will my thoughts irritate them enough to influence their direction?  My lack of trust in them is the source of my discontent.  Should I continue to speak my mind, to try and influence their thinking?  Today's entry in Simple Abundance says to trust your instincts.  The grit in my pearl got a tiny layer of silky covering yesterday.  I look forward to the Divine Discontent that today brings.

No comments: