Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Taking yourself (less) seriously

Yesterday was stressful at work. When I got home, my husband was cutting down a tree to make way for the new DISH satellite - so Abbie and I decided to go for a walk to get her out of the way. As we walked, she started to play in the rainwater ditches on the side of the road. I walked, musing about my day until she got my attention with her shenangans. To amuse myself, I picked up a rock from the road and threw it in the water in front of Abbie. It made a nice sized splash and got her attention. So, I picked up another rock and repeated the process. This time, Abbie got spooked and jumped backwards. I started to laugh silently, and looked for another rock. We did this for 15 minutes or so, me laughing so hard I could hardly keep it quiet and Abbie trying to figure out what was splashing in the water.

I love our dog. She takes my mind off of what is absolutely not serious and makes me take myself much less seriously.

Still looking for a reason to adopt a dog? Want to find a good playmate? Check out the Humane Society in your town. Go for a walk and play with a dog. It'll do you good.

No comments: