Tuesday, January 29, 2013

So many options, so little time

Instant Gratification-Super Bulky
This weekend I stashed all of my yarn on www.Ravelry.com.  It took the majority of my afternoon, and it was worth every single moment.  Now I can look at my stash, look at patterns and decide what to do with my time.  Should I use a Super Bulky for an instant gratification project?  Should I enter the knitting contest with the worsted browns in my stash?  Should I finish the socks already in progress?  So many options, so little time.

Last April, three of us started a Big Year project to mimic the book, The Big Year.  We each chose a BIG goal to accomplish and decided to e-mail each other on Sunday nights with our achievements, so we could be accountable to each other, cheer each other's success, and encourage each other when goals were not reached.  I had three goals:  Make one knitted or crocheted project a month, finish a journal, lose 10 pounds and keep it off.  I have achieved two out of my three goals and it has been a great year so far.
Last night when I was talking to my sister, the Big Year initiator, she talked about the time it has taken to achieve our big year and how we have put off other things in our life to accomplish these goals.  It has taken a lot of time, as both of us have not only achieved our goals, we have expanded on them.  She was going to ride her bike 1000 miles.  Now, she is on track to ride 3,000.  I have completed 18 projects and have 5 in process.  My journal is complete and I am blogging again.  It's been a hard month for my diet, but I am down from where I started.  I still have until the end of March...


Sedona Sunset - worsted
So many options, so little time.  If I had all day at home to knit and write, would it be such an achievement?  Would my satisfaction level be higher?  I do not think so.  It is because I have put a focused effort to one goal in the time that I have for play that I have satisfaction.  Last night at knitting, I was the one who helped another with fixing her work.  I have learned so much in the last 10 months.  There is still a world of knitting knowledge out there to learn, and I look forward to every  minute. 

 It fills me with satisfaction when I wear my knitted socks, or when the cowl around my neck defines my style.  The time was well spent. 

So many options, so little time.  I am so grateful to have 63 items in my stash, free patterns to explore on a website specifically made for knitters and crocheters, friends to knit with (including my sister), and time that I make, time that I savor, to explore my options, to enjoy successes, and share time with others in my life.

 


No comments: