Sunday, July 13, 2014

Proverbs 12 and 13

Reading one chapter a day was a great idea.  Chapters 12 and 13 are jam packed with great verses, so i think it would be a good practice to repeat reading a verse a day every July.  Since there are so many awesome verses, I am going to pick a verse or two from each chapter as to fortify and encourage wise behavior in this current stage of life.

Proverbs 12:11:  "He who tills his own land has food in plenty, but he who follows idle pursuits is a fool." I took this verse literally yesterday and now have three blisters on my hands, and aching muscles from spending six hours in the garden.  It looks so much better today and the tomatoes and cucumbers will be so much nicer since they are staked, so I know there will be plenty to share as well as to eat.  However today, the second part of the verse continues to prod me on...  "but he who follows idle pursuits is a fool."  Today my bones ache, my hands hurt and I am tired.  The temptation to sit on the couch, knit and nap is great.  Yet, if I would put in some quality time in the garden today again, we could have fresh green beans and cucumbers for supper, and the vine crop will have a chance to see more sunshine if the four foot tall weeds are removed from the fenceline. The temptation to be idle is great, yet this verse tells me not to be idle.

Proverbs 13:11:  "Wealth quickly gotten dwindles away, but amassed little by little, it grows."  When my Mom died last year, I put $2,000 of the money I received from her in a checking account.  She used to give me a $20 bill when I would pick her up and take her places "to pay for my gas."  I always told her she didn't have to do that, but she would ignore me and put the money in my car's dashboard.  It frequently came in handy when I needed cash, but there were many $20's that ended up in my secret stash and are still there.  However, the $2,000 ran out this week.  I used the money to treat myself periodically - buy yarn, get my hair done (many times), buy more yarn, etc.  There is something different about money you accumulate slowly vs. that given to you in a larger chunk.  The $2,000 is gone, yet I still have some of the $20's she gave me.

Proverbs 13:20:  "Walk with the wise man and you will become wise.  but the companion of fools will fare badly."  I am blessed to have friends and family who possess wisdom, who make wise choices and encourage similar behavior.  Walking with them makes me a better person and I am grateful for their presence in my life.

No comments: