Friday, July 18, 2014

Proverbs 14 and 15

So many Proverbs, so little time.  In the middle of summer, my garden consumes great amounts of time.  However, I know better.   Last year I did not spend much time in my garden, yet produce still arrived in over-abundance.  I have been reading the chapters of Proverbs, thus fulfilling the assignment from Lora, marking verses that strike me, but not writing about it, so the verse in Chapter 14 that needs to be lifted up is: Proverbs 14:23:  In all labor there is profit, but mere talk tends only to penury.

  • Penury:  extreme poverty; destitution
  • There is my life.  I work, I do things, yet I have always wanted to be a writer.  Yet, being a writer is mostly "mere talk" when it comes to the daily decisions of how to spend my days.  It is the last thing that I "let" myself do in the face of all other work that calls my name.
  • Thus my excuse for not writing my daily blog - thus my penury.

Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15:13:  A glad heart lights up the face, but my mental anguish the spirit is broken.
Proverbs 15: 15:  Every day is miserable for the depressed, but a lighthearted man has a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:17:  Better a dish of herbs where love is than a fatted ox and hatred with it.

So much to write about - so much.  I have been experiencing days of grief over losing my Mom in November and the scars on my heart have been re-opened.  My friend/sister, Shelley, continues to pray for me and tries to keep me lighthearted despite the anguish.  She portrays a life of a feast, thus is a good example that even when life throws things at us that are hard and depressing, life is our daily feast from God.  And thus, it is better to have a dish of herbs with love, a lovely image portraying a plate full of God who loves us and helps us through the daily difficulties.

No comments: