Monday, July 21, 2014

Proverbs 21

It looks like we are going to get into the "how to be a good wife" series of verses.  As most married people know, marriages have peaks and valleys.  Currently my husband and I are living in a valley, so while these verses are very good, I am going to caution myself against saying much about them.

The good wife series verses in Proverbs 21 are:


  • 21, 9:  "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop than in a roomy house with a quarrelsome woman."  In the notation for this verse, there are seven similar verses noted if you want more information.
  • 21, 19:  "It is better to dwell in a wilderness than with a quarrelsome and vexatious wife."

While I believe it is important to be a good wife, and I believe I do a pretty good job, the verse best suited to me today is 21, 23:

  • Proverbs 21, 23:  "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from trouble."   

This verse provides a similar reference (13, 3).  Verse 13, 3 provides another reference to 18, 7.  Verse 18, 7 brings us back to 21, 23.  In the information technology world that I live in, we call this a circular reference, which can also be known as an "error message."  I think for today I will just list the similar verses and leave well enough alone, for as my Grandma used to say, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

  • Proverbs 13, 3:  "He who guards his mouth protects his life; to open wide one's lips brings downfall."  
  • Proverbs 18, 7:  "The fool's mouth is his ruin; his lips are a snare to his life."  

No comments: